We’re planning on having our annual Monarch Migration party on Oct. 1st this year. This is a full two weeks later than we had the program last year.
If you look at the JourneyNorth.org website you’ll see that while the western population, central Y.S.) has headed down to Mexico ahead of time, the Eastern half is bunched up in the Northeast.
Here’s a link for a weekly report.
Here are some observations from the Peak Events of Journey North where the Monarchs were reported.
- Sept. 20th – Wauwatosa, WI – 379 miles to get to St. Louis
- Sept. 24th – South Haven, MI – 390 miles
- Sept. 25th – McMurray , PA – 587 miles
- Sept. 28 – 10
- Sept. 29 – 6
- Sept 30 – 3 (we’ve had winds from the west for about a week – this is not helping the monarchs get to us.)
- Oct 2 – Temperature got down to 37 degrees last night!
- Oct 9/10 – I’m seeing 6 monarchs in the yard at a time – mainly on tropical milkweed. It’s interest to see on the Journey North website that there are still a lot of Monarchs in the NorthEast part of the country.