If you have seeds leftover from previous years, rather than throwing them away, test them out now and save yourself some money.
I like to test them out by using conditions similar to what I normally use. I put in three seeds in each cell and mark each with the name of the seed and the date. I cover the seeds with a plastic lid to keep things moist and also use a shop light to keep things warm inside.
If the seeds germinate, then you know you can use them this year.
I used some vermiculite I had, but you can use any good potting mix. I don’t plan on keeping these plants – they are just letting me know the germination rate.
Note – I am also testing some new seeds from dollarseed.com
- Kale – 3 days
- Marigold Cracker Jack – 3 days – Dollarseed.com
- Zinnia – California Giant – 3 days – Dollarseed.com
- Tropical Milkweed – 7 days – Dollarseed.com
- Maltese Cross – Dollarseed.com
- Dames Rocket – Dollarseed.com
- Purple globe amaranth – Toms – 3 days – almost all seeds germinated.
- Tomatoes – 4 days
- Zinnia – small gold – 4 days. – one seed germinated.