Uthoff Valley Elementary is the latest and nicest school garden I helped with this year. Here are a couple of notes about the garden.
- The wood is treated so it should last longer than the wood we replaced.
- The whole area is covered with mulch to keep down the weeds.
- They added compost to the garden area and will add mulch after planting.
- They asked about fertilizer and I suggested that if the plants looked poorly then they could add some Milorganite.
- They are using a hose timer and soaker hose so that the entire area will be watered automatically over the summer.
- The wood is placed on top of the soil. I suggested adding compost every year to build up the soil level.
- The entire area had to be worked initially to remove the aggressive plants and weeds in the garden.