After taking my Horticulture 101 class and watching a couple of YouTube videos, I’ve come up with a few suggestions on composting.
- Don’t rake up and throw your leaves away. Compost them.
- Collect leaves from your yard and even your neighbors to get the needed leaves.
- Use some sort of shredder to break up the leaves. You can buy a blower/shredder combo on Amazon or I use my lawn mower to shred up the leaves and some grass and I add this mixture to my compost area.
- Don’t add a lot of kitchen waste – note coffee grounds are an exception.
- According to one video, a 2″ layer of compost are all the nutrients that your plants will need.
Here are some video on composting.