I went out to St. Louis Composting yesterday to see if they might have their good compost in bags I could buy. I saw a man with a shovel loading compost into bags which he then put into his car. I realized then that this might be a better option than buying mulch by the bag every year.
For me there are a couple of problems which I need to remember and which might be helpful to you.
- Order half a cubic yard at a time – that’s about the maximum amount I can get into the back of my car. They will use a bulldozer to dig out what you want and then dump it for you to load into your car.
- Bring along a strong-back worker who can use a shove to put the compost into bags which he can then put into the back of the car.
- Buy heavy duty bags. The regular 1.2 mil bags are a bit light for the job. The good bags are a lot more expensive, but you can save then for use next year.
- Bring a tarp to put under the bags.
- I used the Black Gold Compost as a top layer to dress the garden – it’s wonderful.
- If you’ve got a friend with a large pickup truck bed (4′ x 8′), you can get 2 cu yards to fit inside comfortably.